How can we use my husband's tax allowance?

How can we use my husband's tax allowance?

My husband and I jointly own shares together, although they are all actually in my name. I know and understand what the tax allowances are in terms of capitals gains tax (CGT) on any profit made from shares I go on to sell and the tax allowances available on dividends that I receive. My questions is, because we are married can we double up those allowances (in a similar way to how inheritance taxes allowances can be) or do we have to physically split the shares into separate names and accounts in order for us both to benefit from our tax allowances?

L Hazard

To continue reading, register today

to enjoy limited access to the following:

  • Daily trading news
  • Funds coverage
  • Features on big investment themes
  • Comprehensive companies coverage
  • Economic analysis
Subscribe to Investors Chronicle

Subscribe today

Full access for just £3.37 a week:

• Tips and recommendations - to beat the market 
• Portfolio clinic & Mr Bearbull - build a well-planned portfolio 
• Expert tools - track and manage investments effortlessly
• Plus free delivery to your home or office

Subscribe Now